|Servings for: 3-4 people||Estimated time for cooking: 40-50 minutes|
How to cook the Chicken Afritada with Pineapple Recipe: – Hot weather you always want to change the menu for the whole family. Therefore this recipe made from chickens shared in this post which is very delicious especially on summer days like this.Cooked chicken has a bad reputation for not having a lot of flavors, but it also applies to many of the foods that people do not know how to cook.
The truth is that there are many ways to cook the chicken and at the same time give an incredible flavor. The liquid in which you cook it, along with the vegetables and herbs that you add to the chicken, can make a big difference.
Chicken Afritada is a hearty and delicious Filipino dish that will not leave anyone indifferent with its seductive taste and colorful appearance. At its core, afritada is a stew that is traditionally made from chicken or pork, potatoes and carrots stewed in tomato sauce with sweet pepper.
To give the dish a more colorful appearance, a few green peas are added a few minutes before the end of cooking.
Since the dish itself has a rather bright and mouth-watering taste, it’s usually served with a simple and neutral taste of boiled rice. It turns out satisfying and very tasty. Give it a try!
#1 Ingredients needed for cooking the Chicken Afritada with Pineapple Recipe
The ingredients that we will be using today is as simple as the recipe. They are nothing new or fancy that you haven’t heard of or used. With the combination of these simple ingredients, we will be creating this aromatic full of flavor chicken dish that you will be amazed one you try the dish. Take a look at the ingredients that we will busing for this recipe.
- 4 chicken thighs (800 g) or other parts of the chicken
- 1 onion (preferably red)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 small carrots
- 500 g of potatoes
- 350-400 g of tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 1 sweet pepper (can be frozen)
- Salt, ground pepper black and red
- 1 tbsp. a spoonful of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Pineapple juice and chunk
#2 Utensils and Items required for cooking the Chicken Afritada with Pineapple Recipe
The items and utensils we need for this recipe are also nothing fancy. We will be using those items and utensils that we need and use for our daily cooking. So it’s easier for you to clean and maintain these items. Take a look at the items and utensils that we will be using for this recipe.
- Paper towels
- Apron and dishcloth
- Frying pan with lid
- Different size spoons and ladles
- Knife and chopping board
- Can opener
#3 Preparation before cooking the Chicken Afritada with Pineapple Recipe
The famous dish in the Philippines – chicken afritada – resembles our traditional stew of chicken and vegetables, with the addition of bell pepper and green peas. Chicken is pre-marinated, which gives this dish an island, piquant taste. Adding tomato sauce gives sourness, and carrots and bell peppers give extra sweetness.
Here is such a variety of taste you can experience by tasting this delicious dish!A lot of chicken, a lot of vegetables, a lot of wonderful taste and beauty. And nothing complicated or long to prepare a wonderful dish.
Preparing before cooking this dish is a very important step for the smooth process of cooking. Preparing yourself first for cooking and them preparing the kitchen can save you a lot of time and energy. You can not only make the cooking process faster and easier but can also make yourself enjoy cooking. So let’s prepare for this dish.
- Firstly, you need to arrange the items and utensils that you are going to use for this dish.
- Put on the apron and clean the Utensils and keep them aside for them to dry.
- Arrange all the ingredients that you will be needing and keep them aside.
- If the chicken you’re going to cook for this recipe is stored in the fridge. Take them out and keep them aside for them to thaw at room temperature. Ifyou’re going to use the fresh chicken, it’s perfect.
- Wash your hands properly before handling the meat.
- Rinse the chicken in the running water and dry them with paper towels. If you’re chicken need to be chopped into pieces, then chop them accordingly. Then keep them aside.
- Again wash your hands after you’re finished handling the meat.
- Now work with other ingredients that we will be using for this recipe.
- Clean potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, pepper properly before chopping them.
- Peel the potatoes, carrot, garlic and sweet peas if you’re using the fresh ones.
- Chop all the above ingredients finely. Keep them aside in separate dishes.
- If you are using the canned tomatoes and peas, open them and pour them in the separate bowls.
#4 How to cook the Chicken Afritada with Pineapple Recipe
The chicken afritada after cooked well turns out beautiful, bright, juicy, fragrant and mega appetizing. This dish of Philippine cuisine is quite easy to prepare. You will be able to dilute such a yummy as a casual or festive menu. Your household will be well-fed and happy.
You will definitely make such a yummy dish for your most beloved. One of the uniqueness that separateness afritada from other traditional afritada is the use of pineapple chunks and juices. Their use adds more sweetness to the dish making it more appetizing. We present to your attention a recipe for a delicious dish that will appeal to everyone.
- Afritada can be prepared from any parts of the chicken, small or large.Remove the skin or leave it.
- Put the frying pan on a strong fire, on which oil is heated for 4-5 minutes. Then spread the pieces of chicken, fry until crusty on both sides for 3-5 minutes side. Put on a plate, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- If necessary, add and heat more oil on the pan. Then put peeled and chopped potatoes and carrots, without reducing the heat and continue to stir, fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and garlic, fry everything together for another 3-5 minutes, until light crusts appear on the potatoes. Then put the pieces of chicken we previously fried in the pan.
- Knead the canned tomatoes and pour them into the pan, season with salt and pepper. And simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Now it’s time for you to addpineapple juice for the sauce.
- Then put chopped sweet pepper, add soy sauce and leave the stew under the lid for several minutes until the chicken and potatoes are soft.
- The last additives in stews are greens and green peas; it can be frozen or canned. This additive requires another 2-3 minutes of stewing.
- Now add the pineapple chunks in the dish. If you like you can simmer but it’s not needed.
- Boiled rice is also added to the afritade, but this is optional.
#5 How to serve and eat Chicken Afritada with Pineapple Recipe
Philippine Afritada – colorful, hearty and tasty stew with chicken and vegetables, in tomato sauce. A great option for lunch or dinner. This can also be eaten for the afternoon snacks. The dish can be accompanied with several side dishes with which this dish can be served.
- Usually, to counterbalance the sweetness and the tasty flavor of the chicken, the dish is best served with the plain boiled rice.
- Buttered rice or jeera rice, Pulao can also be served with the dish.
- Flattened rice with the favorite beverage of yours also compliments the dish.
- Bread, flatbread, Roti, Chapati, Nan areother side dishes for this recipe.
- Mashed potatoes, carrot fry, french fry, green beans, green salad and vegetables, beans, pasta, risotto are some.of the other options for accompanying this dish.
#6 Some simple tips for cooking Chicken Afritada with Pineapple Recipe
This chicken recipe indifferent from other traditional chicken recipes need to be cooked properly. The process of cooking involves a lot of chopping, peeling and frying each ingredient separately. Then again mixing and cooking all these ingredients together.
Right seasoning with the right amount of sauces is key for making this dish delicious. Chicken meat is cooked properly as you know can be very tasty, tender, soft and juicy. But if overcooked or undercoating leave the chicken dry, hard and raw inside.
Also, we will be using the pineapple, so we need to take care of the amount of the pineapple juice and chunks we put in the recipe. Too much pineapple juice can make the dish a lot sweeter. But if used in the right amount, the tasty island flavor can be tasted. So here are some tips given which you can use for your advantage while cooking this dish.
- Pineapple has the ability to help you digest meat. It is therefore good for the taste, but also for digestion to add a little pineapple to your meat dishes.
- You can use pineapple as a side dish, as part of a sauce, as part of stuffing and even cold on a meat skewer. Be careful however, the pineapple contributes to creating a very pronounced sweet-salty combination that will not necessarily please everyone.
- When you are using the pineapple and its juice in the meat,It is enough to keep young meat in the marinade for only half an hour. And it is better to leave the tough meat for a couple of hours. Too long to keep the meat in the marinade is undesirable, as it can become flabby.
- Use canned pineapples in natural juice and not in syrup else the dish will be overly sweet.
- To keep the potatoes and carrots from turning into mush, pan-fry until almost done and then only finish off in the stew.
- Quickly fry the bell peppers first to keep them tender-crisp.
- If you cook the chicken pieces in the pan, either with or without skin, make sure they do not touch each other so that they are browned completely and evenly.
#7 Frequently Asked Questions
What is the benefit of using Pineapple in the meat?
Pineapple juice is an effective meat tenderizer, thanks to its bromelain content an enzyme that has the ability to break down proteins. You can use natural pineapple to soften the meat by putting two pieces of pineapple and the meat in the middle, or using the pineapple juice as if it were a marinade, mixed with spices.
You have to leave the meat at rest for a minimum hour. When cooking the meat will be much more tender, even the toughest meats with this trick improve.
Can any other fruit other than pineapple can be used in this recipe?
Pineapple is not the only fruit that can tenderize the meat. Papaya has pa pain, which performs approximately the same functions and thus achieves a softening of the meat by protein degradation.
In many meat dishes, pineapple is included, notice that in many of these a short cooking is done.The piece of meat is not the most tender of all, and indirectly with the pineapple, you can avoid the excessive hardness of the meat.
If I want to remove the skin from the meat, what is the easiest way?
Place the chicken on a clean cutting board. Start by cutting the chicken skin on the neck. Remove the wing by cutting it at the first joint. Spread the skin of meat over the area of the breast. The area in the middle of the chicken’s back is usually very hard, so you need to take your time to carefully cut it with the knife.
Work slowly and carefully by pulling back the skin as you progress to make the process easier. Be sure to pull it as high as you can to separate it from the meat in the back. Cut the skin around the ends of thighs. Cut the hip joints and remove the thighs.
Remove chicken skin completely. Once you have removed the thighs, you will be ready to separate the skin from the chicken completely. As you remove it, pull it back from the neck almost as if you were pulling a stocking. If you find an area where the skin is still attached, use the knife to separate it carefully and continue pulling
Hold the skin of the thigh on the side of the joint. To remove the skin from the chicken tightly, it is important that you start in the joint to which the skin is most attached. Take the skin right where it connects to the joint and pull it completely.
If you feel some resistance along, use a sharp knife to remove it.If you feel as if your fingers are slipping on slippery skin, you can use a paper towel to hold it and have a better grip.
It may also be useful to dip your fingers in salt. However, be sure to pour the salt into a small dish and get rid of the excess water so you don’t contaminate the salt with bacteria from the raw chicken.
When you do, you must hold the fleshy end and not the bone. Hold the skin firmly and pull it towards the bone until it comes off the end. It should come out completely, but if the skin breaks, just take the remaining part and pull it from the end.
If any small piece of skin is clogged along the bone and you want to remove it, use a small knife to scrape it and remove it carefully.
Should we remove the skin of the chicken or not?
Surely you have ever wondered if chicken skin should be removed for health reasons. With an intense flavor, chicken skin contains the highest concentration of fat. But removing it could have a more nutritional sense than security.
From the point of view of food safety, it is not clear that eliminating chicken skin means greater guarantees. If we choose to wash it to avoid possible microbial contamination, it is convenient to follow hygiene habits. However, washing it does not prevent contagion.
The bacteria can be transmitted on hands, work surfaces or clothing through splashes of water droplets.
Removing it at first could reduce the number of germs, but it seems that it is not convenient either. For the analysis team it could favor the contamination of internal tissues, that is, meat.
Now that you know what and why you should do, begin with your cooking. Enjoy cooking!
Submitted by Ankur pradhan